Lauren Conrad isn’t one to take wild beauty risks. The celebrity/businesswoman/designer has the California beach-girl look down pat and knows what she likes: “Eyeshadow doesn’t look good on me—it makes my eyes look tiny,” she says. For our April cover, we pushed Conrad out of her comfort zone with big hair and, yes, lots of eyeshadow. (Pretty sure we proved her wrong.)
Still, the eye-shadow belief led her to liquid eyeliner, which she wears on a near-daily basis. We asked for a tutorial in her signature winged look:
1. Find a liquid liner you’re comfortable with. “I use Mark,” she says. “I order them in bulk and keep them in my refrigerator. I go through one a month.”
2. Lean on a counter. “Rest your hand to be steady,” says Conrad, demonstrating by leaning on our table and holding an invisible liquid eyeliner an inch from her lashes.
3. Start at the outside of your iris. Or, as Conrad says, “about 1:30” on your right eye (and 10:30 on your left eye). “You line the lid along the lash line,” she says, and fill in the whole thing with a smooth line.
4. This step is really the key: Flick it out to a little wing. “I draw the liner up toward where my eyebrow ends,” she says.
• Lauren Conrad: Her Allure Cover Shoot
• Lauren Conrad: Her Allure Style Timeline
• Lauren Conrad: Behind-the-Scenes Video