If you’re going to carve out a spot for yourself as a cool-girl musician, it’s an unspoken requirement that you’d better have awesome hair. And what’s more badass than Lorde’s glorious mane of curls? “She likes it big, she likes it natural, and she likes to toss it around,” says her New York–based hairstylist Ryan Kazmarek of the Nunzio Saviano Salon, who met Lorde when she was in town for a M.A.C. event. “They called me last-minute to do her hair, and now whenever she’s here, I style her hair.” We chatted with Kazmarek to find out exactly how he styles it—turns out it’s simpler than you may think.
1. Starting with damp hair, Kazmarek smooths Kérastase Crème Oléo-Curl styling cream over each curl and wraps them around his finger to define the shape. “Her natural curl is very tight, and I want it to look as much like that coil as possible, so I take very little sections and twist them in different directions,” he says.
2. He blow-dries Lorde’s hair with a diffuser while her head is flipped upside down to get extra volume. When it’s 90 percent dry, he mists Kérastase Spray à Porter all over her hair, blasts it with the diffuser again, and then sprays on one final cloud of the texturizer for body.
3. Then, “I’ll take the frizzier parts and curl them with a one-inch wand,” he says. “I don’t like the fake look, and she doesn’t like it too fussy, so I’ll mess it up a little bit after.” Kazmarek also uses the curling wand to smooth the hair at Lorde’s roots and around her hairline so it’s not as tight or frizzy.
And boom! Perfect, unfussy curls in three steps.
• Minnie Driver on Her Curly-Hair Must-Haves and an Old-School Skin Trick
• The 5 Biggest Hair-Curling Mistakes
• 10 Commandments of Curly Hair