As sexual harassment and assault allegations keep rolling in, one of the members of famous boy band the Backstreet Boys has now been accused of rape.
This week, Melissa Schuman, a former member of the band Dream, penned a post on her blog alleging that Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter raped her at his Santa Monica apartment when he was 22 and she was 18.
According to Schuman, now 33, Carter kissed her before forcibly performing oral sex on her in a bathroom and demanding she perform it on him in return. Schuman wrote that he then took her to his bedroom, where she told him she didn’t want to have sex and that she was a virgin for religious reasons. He ignored her, she claimed. “He was relentless, refusing to take my no’s for an answer. He was heavy, too heavy to get out from under him,” she wrote. “Then I felt it, he put something inside of me. I asked him what it was and he whispered in my ear once more, ‘It’s all me baby.'”
Carter, for his part, denied the allegations. “I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual,” the 37-year-old told People in a statement on Wednesday. “We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”
In her blog post, Schuman described the aftermath of her alleged assault by Carter, saying he called her for weeks afterward to leave messages demanding she speak with him before eventually giving up. Later on, when she signed with his manager and friend Kenneth Crear, she said she had to sing a duet with Carter as part of a showcase for a record label. The two allegedly exchanged brief words, and Schuman said he was “agitated.” After they performed her set, Schuman wrote, a label head told Schuman he loved her voice and could “easily” get it on a movie soundtrack.
After several weeks of silence from the label and her own representation, Schuman said she finally heard from Crear. Crear allegedly told her that the label head who had been enthusiastic about Schuman now believed her vocals were “weak.”
“I could tell by his tone that he was no longer interested in working for me and I couldn’t help but wonder if Nick had any influence in it,” Schuman said. “I never did another showcase again after that and I quickly lost interest in pursuing a career as a recording artist. I was broken. I was tired. I was traumatized.”
Schuman explained that she didn’t come forward sooner because she was scared. When she confided in her then-manager Nils Larsen about the incident, he told her Carter had the “most powerful litigator in the country.” Schuman said that at the time she believed she didn’t have the money to afford proper legal representation. She decided to speak up, she wrote, after she saw another woman get victim-blamed online this past October for alleging that Carter had sexually assaulted her at a party in 2006.
“Victim shaming is a core reason why victims don’t speak out,” Schuman wrote. “There is nothing worse than being victimized and having others call you a liar. Or claim you are looking for 15 mins of fame. Let me ask this simple question. Who the hell wants to be famous for being raped?”
“I feel I have an obligation now to come forward with the hope and intention to inspire and encourage other victims to tell their story,” she continued. “We are stronger in numbers. If you are reading this and you have been assaulted, know you don’t have to be silent and you are not alone. I know it’s scary. I’m scared.”
Allure has reached out to Nick Carter for comment and will update this post accordingly.
More on sexual assault and rape:
- Three Women Have Accused Harvey Weinstein of Rape
- This Lawyer Was Arrested After Allegedly Threatening a Rape Survivor
- This Woman Posted Her Alleged Rape to Snapchat