In a new interview with Buzzfeed, Terry Crews said he will keep speaking out about his alleged sexual assault, even if powerful people in Hollywood might want him to stop. Last October, the actor tweeted about an unnamed “high-profile executive” who allegedly groped Crews’s crotch at a party in 2016. A month later, saying he was inspired by the wave of women coming forward about their alleged sexual assaults and harassment in Hollywood, Crews named his alleged assaulter: Adam Venit, a powerful agent at William Morris Endeavor (WME). Now, even in the face of backlash, Crews intends to continue talking about his experience.
Venit, for his part, returned to work at WME following a brief suspension, and according to the Los Angeles Daily News, prosecutors will not file charges against him. But Crews told Buzzfeed he will continue with his lawsuit against Venit and WME, even with reported pressure on him to drop it: In February, Crews tweeted that the producer of the The Expendables, a film series in which Crews stars, called Crews’s management to say the actor could avoid “problems” by abandoning legal action against Venit.
Crews also said he hadn’t heard anything from the Expendables team after sending this tweet. “No words from anybody. Nothing,” he said. “Believe me, nobody saw that coming. Nobody thought that I was gonna put that out there.”
Management got a call last week from Avi Lerner producer of EXPENDABLES 4 saying I could avoid any “problems” on the sequel if I dropped my case against @WME.
Guess who’s Sly’s agent?
— terry crews (@terrycrews) February 3, 2018
“People don’t understand that Hollywood is a very violent place,” he continued. “The best way to put it is that it’s like a plantation. You use extreme violence. You see a lot of people who never work again. For even speaking up the whole thing is that they cut your head off so that the next person doesn’t speak.”
Crews said has plenty of supporters as well, like his Everybody Hates Chris co-star Imani Hakim and director Paul Feig, who tweeted in support of Crews earlier this month. “What I’ve been doing is just exposing. If this is the end of my career, just end it now,” Crews said. “[Because] I’m [going to] keep living, I’m [going to] keep doing my thing. But if I don’t do another Expendables, then let’s not do another one. I’m OK with that.”
“They don’t want to see me comment, but I’m not going anywhere,” he added. “They lead this thing through shame. [They] shame you so you feel like you gotta hide in the house… [But] once you get rid of shame, you get to step off the slave plantation. And I get to be free. This is a good thing.”
(Lerner reportedly did not respond to requests for comment, according to BuzzFeed.)
Read more stories about people speaking up about alleged sexual misconduct:
- Terry Crews Says He Was Assaulted by a “High-Level” Hollywood Executive
- Brendan Fraser Opens Up About Alleged Sexually Assault
- Lynda Carter Says She Experienced Sexual Harassment on the Wonder Woman Set
Watch how this lupus advocate finds beauty in her illness: