A woman in Australia died after undergoing what appears to be a botched breast surgery by someone without qualifications to practice medicine in the country.
On Wednesday, 35-year-old Jean Huang was rushed to the hospital after getting a local anesthetic and breast fillers from a Chinese tourist named Jie Shao, 33. As reported by The Guardian, Australia’s Health Care Complaints Commission said in a statement didn’t have a license to give the procedure. Huang died on Friday in the hospital, and Shao was arrested by police on charges of using poison to endanger life and inflicting reckless grievous bodily harm.
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, authorities speculate that Huang’s death was caused by the wrong dosage of anesthetic before her procedure. The Daily Telegraph, meanwhile, reports that Shao’s lawyer claimed her client had medicine in China and the U.K. and had spent five years studying dermatology. Shao was denied bail on the grounds that she might try to flee, and she’s set to appear again in court on September 5.
Unfortunately, botched plastic surgeries aren’t uncommon: Surgical standards vary from country to country, and some patients forego operations by board-certified surgeons in favor of cheaper alternatives from unlicensed practitioners. A 25-year-old named Janelle Edwards died in June following a breast enhancement, butt implants, and a tummy tuck received in the Dominican Republic. Less than a month ago, 31-year-old Latesha Bynum died following a botched butt injection, which was carried out in a Manhattan apartment by someone allegedly posing as a plastic surgeon.
More on plastic surgery:
- This “Botched” Patient Had 13 Surgeries to Look Like Ivanka Trump
- This Woman Died After a Botched Butt Enhancement Surgery From a Fake Doctor
- Surgeon Sentenced to 15 Years for Subjecting Patients to Needless Operations